Tuesday 24 July 2012

Stratford Upon Avon: You Have Entered Shakespeare Land

I was fortunate enough to have visited the lovely little Shakespearean town of Stratford-Upon-Avon.  Admittedly I am not a huge fan of Shakespeare as those close to me know.  However, not even I was able to escape the town’s charm.  It was really neat to see the birthplace of Shakespeare but I was disappointed by the stone lot where he spent his last days.  I am surprised that they have not yet recreated the house in order to present something visual for tourist.  I really enjoyed visiting The Holy Trinity Church where Shakespeare is entombed.  The church is really beautiful and I even felt inspired to donate a bit to the stained glass window preservation fund.  If they succeed and acquire all the funds needed to restore the windows to the previous brilliance the church will be even more a fantastic sight to see.  Later in the evening we joined everyone else for a Shakespearean play; a modern interpretation of Twelfth Night.  I was pleased that the Royal Shakespeare Company performed modern interpretation.  I was amused by many of the scenes; primarily the yellow stockings and the drunk getting his pants pulled off.  I think it is safe to assume that losing the pants was not in the script!  I am not familiar with the original rendition of Twelfth Night but it does seem like a rather interesting play.  However I will be honest and say that I truly do not see me ever picking up for pleasure reading! I will not deny that fact. 
                               
Shakespeare's "Death" Lot
                                      
Royal Shakespeare Company Theater  Getting Ready for "Twelfth Night"
Check out the Royal Shakespeare Company because they are awesome, dedicated performers.
http://www.rsc.org.uk/about-us/

                                     
Trinity Church
Also I will mention that we were fortunate enough to see a drunken British man wondering the streets of Stratford aimlessly and scaring children along the way at 1 in the afternoon.  It was quite a hilarious site that I felt necessary to immortalize in a photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment